Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Census Help

Need help with your 2010 census questionnaire? The library is an authorized assistance center. Someone from the US Census Bureau will be in the Dylan Room (library basement) beginning March 22nd through April 19th on the following days and hours:

Mondays – 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Tuesdays – 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Wednesdays – 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Fridays – 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

Why do we need to be counted?
The 2010 Census will help communities receive more than $400 billion in federal funds each year for things like:
  • Hospitals
  • Job training centers
  • Schools
  • Senior centers
  • Bridges, tunnels and other-public works projects
  • Emergency services
  • The data collected by the census also help determine the number of seats your state has in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Make sure you and your family get counted!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Call for Artists

Are you an artist or do you know an artist? Join the dozens of artists who show their works to the public during the 18th Annual Gallery Hop. All levels of artistic experience are welcome.

A nominal fee is required. Artists wishing to participate in the event, which will be held from 2 to 7 p.m., Thursday, June 24, in stores and businesses along Howard Street, may now register (or obtain more information) by calling the coordinators of
the event, John and Eloise Cook at 218-492-4425.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Come Home Bob!

Help us invite Bob Home for Dylan Days.

Sign our petition to bring Bob home, sign up for regional tourist information, and drawings for free hotel nights across the range.

Print out your own poster or purchase merchandise to support the "Come Home Bob" campaign.

Be sure to follow us on Twitter, facebook and YouTube. And, stay tuned for updates on the efforts to bring Bob back home to the Iron Range!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

AARP Volunteer Tax Help

Time is running out! AARP Volunteers are still available:

At the library from 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. on March 26 and April 9
At the Memorial Building Senior Center on March 30, April 6, and 13th

Tax-Aide volunteers will provide free tax assistance to low or moderate income with special attention to those age 60 or older.

What should you bring with you? The list below tells you the most commonly required documents. Some of these items may not apply to you in which case you can disregard them.

* Social security numbers for you, your spouse, and all your dependents
* Last year's tax returns
* W-2s for yourself and your spouse
* Any 1099s you or your spouse received
* Alimony received
* Unemployment compensation statements
* Social security income statements
* Any other statements showing income
* IRA contributions
* Tuition payments and Student loan interest payments
* Any itemized expenses you may wish to deduct, such as:
o Out-of-pocket medical expenses
o Non-cash donations
o Cash donations
o Vehicle license tabs
o Property taxes paid
o Job-related moving expenses
o Mortgage interest paid
o Tax preparation fees
o Uniform costs
* Daycare expenses - you will need to provide the name, address, amount paid, and social security number or EIN for each provider you paid.
* Minnesota Education credit:
o Educational software
o Private school tuition or tutoring
o Academic books/materials
o Music lessons and music equipment rental
o Tuition for academic summer camp
o Instructor fees for drivers education
o School supplies (must have itemized receipt)
o Property Tax Refund documents
o CRPs - Certificate of Rent Paid
o Property tax statements
* If you wish to use the direct deposit/direct debit option, please bring your checkbook with you to verify your bank account and routing information.

Follow us on Twitter